God’s way places responsibility on every man, whereas all humanistic patterns remove government from God and man to the state, or to the autonomous individual. God’s law in every sphere limits the powers of man, church, state, family, and all human agencies. Its basic thrust is man’s responsibility: “Thou art the man” (2 Sam.12:7). Statism assumes a caretaker role which denies implicitly that man is created in God’s image and has a calling to govern himself and his spheres of responsibility.
One of the commonest mistakes people make in relation to education, is to view it in terms of academics. They want their children to be educated, and so they think primarily of subjects such as Maths, Science and History. Of course, these are aspects of education, but the fundamental issues of Education are not subjects such as Maths, Science and History. They are values.
Values are derived issues. They indicate why we think a certain way, and values are founded upon the religious presuppositions that people hold to. Christian values are derived from the knowledge of God in the Bible. This explains why a truly Christian education is fundamentally different to a Buddist, a Moslem, a Hindu or a humanistic education. Christian values are derived from scripture, whereas other religions are derived from other texts or viewpoints.
Thus it is a vain thing for Christian parents to send their child to a State school, and ask for a class on religious education (of perhaps an hour a week), to be superimposed onto a humanistic curriculum. It is an affront to the First Commandment: “You shall have no other gods before Me” (Ex.20:3). It is saying to God, “You be Lord of 3%. The rest of my child’s time at school, he/she will be devoted to paganism.” And it’s implicitly saying to a child, “I want you to be educated in the Bible for 3% of your week, and the other 97% of your school time, be a child of the devil.”
The humanists have known this for a long time, a lot longer than Christians. They have engaged in what Gary North calls “ideological kidnapping.” The humanists must be struck by how blind Christian parents have been now, for over a century. In 1983 a leading American humanist wrote
I am convinced that the battle for humankind’s future must be waged and won in the public school classroom by teachers that correctly perceive their role as proselytizers of a new faith: a religion of humanity that recognizes and respects the spark of what theologians call divinity in every human being … The classroom must and will become an arena of conflict between the old and new. These teachers must embody the same selfless dedication as the most rabid fundamentalist preachers, for they will be ministers of another sort, utilizing the classroom instead of a pulpit to convey humanist values in whatever subject they teach, regardless of the educational level—preschool day care or large state universities. John Dunphy, (“The Humanist,” Jan/Feb 1983.)
To say that we Christians have been a bit slow on the uptake is to be charitable. Furthermore, a lot of pastors and preachers have not been a help; they have been compromisers too. When there’s mist in the pulpit, there’ll be fog in the pew. When church leaders are compromisers, what can we expect of the people?
Nonetheless, God holds Christian parents responsible for their childrens’ education. This has been His message since Deuteronomy 6. As Rushdoony comments,
in Deut.6:7-9, parents are ordered to teach their children the faith. This is to be done “diligently.” The future of the family and the nation depends on the godly education of the generations to come…Failure to teach our children and to instruct them in the faith and in God’s law often rests on an implicit humanism.
God’s message to Israel through the prophet Elijah was clear: “How long will you hesitate between two opinions? If the Lord is God, follow Him; but if Baal, follow him. But the people did not answer him a word” (I Kings 18:21).
What about you? What values do you want your children to hold to, right through their lives? It is an exercise in wilful deception to think, “We’ll give them a Christian education at home, and save money by sending them to the State school.”
Now is the time to make your position of obedience to God absolutely clear to all around, including your children. Yes, obedience to God’s Word can be costly, and may mean confronting issues you wish weren’t there. But Jesus said, “Your kingdom come, Your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven” (Mat.6:10). He said also, “…you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free” (Jn.8:32).
Do you really want your children meeting Jesus Christ at judgment day, having embraced the world’s second oldest religion?