In study after study, homeschooling parents explain that one of their keys reasons for practicing home-based education is so that they are the authentic, genuine, and effective teachers of truth, values, and beliefs to their children. They think they should not hand over their children to others, especially agents of the State, to indoctrinate their children.
Even if professors and graduate students will not honestly answer the question, every parent must answer this: What is the source of moral authority to teach the truth and mould children’s minds and hearts, and to whom is that authority given, the State or parents?
I recently heard a young pastor in church ask God to “bless all the local schools.” Here in Brisbane, local schools are about 70% public, and 30% private, with all of them government funded and subject to the authority of the Education Department.
The basic facts:
- 1. Public schools have no legitimacy in scripture. The education of children (according to the Bible) is a parental responsibility (see Deuteronomy 6).
- Public schools are run by a Department that implicitly rejects the God of the Bible, that enforces the teaching of Darwinian evolution as fact, and that accepts the notion of many disgusting practices which are abominable to God.
- Public schools are deeply religious institutions, because the education of children is a deeply religious issue.
How do we know that?
Education always focuses on values, which are always religiously derived. God commanded Israel, before they entered the promised land, “watch yourself that you make no covenant with the inhabitants of the land into which you are going, or it will become a snare in your midst. But rather, you are to tear down their altars and smash their sacred pillars…” (Ex.34:12-13).
To destroy the name of every god of Canaan was a morally mandatory act on the part of the Israelites. There was no neutrality possible. There also was no possibility of a nameless God in Israel. Either God’s name would be destroyed inside the boundaries of Israel or else the Canaanite gods’ names would be destroyed. God made it clear: their idols had to be smashed. As with their idols, so with their names: total elimination. “. . . make no mention of the name of other gods, neither let it be heard out of thy mouth” (Ex. 23:13b).
In the New Testament, Paul challenged the Corinthians with the same general principle: “do not be bound together with unbelievers; for what partnership have righteousness and lawlessness, or what fellowship has light with darkness?” (II Cor.6:14).
- Public schools are funded through an unscriptural taxation system (see I Sam. 8:4-20). When Israel chose a king who would instigate 10% taxation, God said it was under judgment for disobeying Him. Today, Australians pay about 40% taxation, much of which funds public education.
- Public schools cost the Australian taxpayer some $15,000 per child per year, while homeschooling generally costs parents under $1,000 per child.
- Public schools separate children from their parents and family for some 14,400 hours over 12 years, utilising compulsory attendance laws. Is this “good” education?
- Public schools are dominated by teachers who overwhelmingly reject the God of the Bible.
- Public schools are attended by students who overwhelmingly reject the God of the Bible. The Bible tells us that “He that walks with wise men will be wise, but the companion of fools will suffer harm” (Prov.13:20).
Tell me, dear Christian person: do you really believe that the God of the Bible wants to “Bless all the schools?”
And here’s my last question: is there any justification according to the Bible, for placing a Christian child in a public school?
 Brian Ray, (Ph.D), National Home Education Research Institute, (NHERI), 6/5/2015.
 Gary North, “Inheritance and Dominion,” 2012, Vol.2, p.339.